A Little Bit o' History - CLARK COUNTY
The first meeting to organize a Clark County Soil and Water Conservation District was held on April 2, 1944. Those elected to the board were Simon Jesberg, Chairman; D.C. Thompson, Vice Chairman; James Hicks, Member; and Lloyd Redd, Secretary. Thus an effort was started to control soil and water erosion in Clark County.
On May 10, 1944, Mr. Kyle Peterson was appointed as temporary District Conservationist. At that time, 13 farmers had requested Cooperator or Balanced Farming Agreements. The first plans accepted were: Herbert Dinger, Snider Sister, Joe Kirchner, Simon Jesberg, Virgil Kearns, Harry Kearns and R.G. Suter.
The first Annual Plan of Action for the Soil and Water Conservation District was approved by the State Commission on October 30, 1944.
In April 1946, the first discussion of building terraces and terrace outlets was discussed. The first contractors were: Myron Baker, Vernon Holdren and Glen Brewer. At a January 1947 meeting, it was reported that 12 miles of terraces, 9.5 miles of outlets and 1.5 miles of diversions were completed.
Here are a few interesting facts:
- an essay contest was sponsored by the district in 1951 for schools in the county
- the estimated office budget for the district in 1953 was $150
- the idea of having a poster contest for local schools was discussed in 1953
- the first contractor's meeting was held in February of 1963
- the late 50's and early 60's paved way for discussion concerning watershed planning needed in the county
- first attempt to hire a full-time clerk for the district was discussed October 17, 1967, with the condition that the district would have to match a $500 state allocation - this wasn't accomplished until October of 1971
The Clark County Soil and Water Conservation District celebrated its "50 Years of Conservation" in 1994. The board of supervisors at that time were: Henry Heinze, Chairman; Lee Suter, Vice Chairman; Wesley Parrish, Treasurer; Ed Riney, Member; and Bill Casey, Secretary. The staff included: Elaine Brotherton, Clerk; Kim Young, District Aide; Tim Daw, Technician; and Kevin Elliott, WAE/Technician. The Soil Conservation Service District Conservationist was Dwight Snead.
Since its meek beginning in 1944, the Clark County Soil and Water Conservation District has made a profound impact on reducing soil and water erosion within the county. Its continued efforts to provide office and technical service, as well as cost-share funding to its landowners, can only add to its future accomplishments and success.