Landowner Assistance

Soil and water conservation practices installed on agricultural land save soil from eroding and reduce nutrients and pesticides from entering Missouri’s waterways. The Parks, Soils and Water Sales Tax provides financial incentives and share the cost between the farmer and the state for implementing soil and water conservation practices that prevent or control soil erosion and protect water quality.

General Landowner Requirements for Receiving Cost-Share

  • A cooperator (landowner/operator) must have a farm number through the Farm Service Agency in order to be eligible to sign-up for a cost-share contract.
  • The cooperator must have an approved conservation plan which includes the requested practice before the contract is approved.
  • A cost-share contract must be board approved before the conservation practice is started.

State Cost-Share Resource Concern Categories and Associated Practices

Not all districts offer every practice listed above. Please contact your local soil and water conservation district to see what is available.

Important Cost-Share Reminders

If you have signed up the last three years and did not receive cost-share assistance, you will automatically be placed at the beginning of the assistance list. We will send a letter to these landowners. If you receive a letter, you must still come in and sign up.

If a landowner received cost-share assistance this fiscal year (July-June) you will not be allowed to sign up for the coming year.

Landowners who have had a practice staked out for cost-share assistance and back out, will be ineligible to sign up for cost-share assistance for three years following the cancellation.

Cost-share practices will be surveyed and staked out one time by district personnel at no cost to the landowner; if the landowner does not maintain the survey and staking flags, the landowner must make arrangements through a private contractor to meet the design criteria if cost-share for the practice is desired.

Beginning fiscal year 2011 this is 75 percent cost-share assistance with the maximums being $15,000 for terraces and $10,000 for ponds. Please call the office for maximums for all other practices.

Once again, if you have any questions, please contact our office.