We are here to serve the landowners and land users in Stone County by providing technical, educational and financial resources in conserving soil and water resources. This district office has been serving Stone County since 1965. Every year, dollars are earmarked for qualified landowners for implementing best land management practices on their property.
State cost-share is a great opportunity to improve pastures by establishing or improving forage stands while controlling erosion, implementing proper grazing systems and practices for maximizing production and minimizing cost. The following are available cost-share practices:
Permanent Vegetative Cover Establishment- Complete re-establishment of forage on fields experiencing excessive erosion. State average cost is $111.44/ac for pasture seeding, plus nutrients.
Permanent Vegetative Cover Improvement- Inter-seeding legumes to improve vegetative cover on fields experiencing excessive erosion. State average cost is $43.80/ac for seeding, plus nutrients.
Cover Crops- Cropland acres where row crops are grown and soil erosion needs to be prevented or water quality and soil health improved. State average cost is $30/ac for one or two species crop cover mix, or $40/ac for three or more species cover crop mix with a lifetime maximum total payment of $20,000 per operator.
Use Exclusion- protects existing woodlands and riparian corridors for excessive erosion due to livestock grazing, state average cost is $2.03/ft for installation of barbed wire fence and $0.93/ft for installation of two strand electric fence.
Planned Grazing System Practices-
- Water Development: provides 75% cost-share for components needed for a well to service a planned grazing system up to a max of $110/ac served by the water source.
- Water Distribution: provides 75% cost-share to distribute water up to a max of $120/ac. Components including pipe, trenching, tanks, hydrants and labor
- Fence: provides 75% cost-share for interior cross fencing need for the installation of an intensive grazing system with a max of $70/ac for fencing cost.
- Application of lime according to soil test: limited to a max of $50/ac and $.033/lb ENM, eligible items include lime, hauling and spreading.
- Inter-seed legumes in paddocks of a qualified grazing system up to $39.81 per acre seeded
- Permanent Vegetative Cover Improvement (no-till):Programs to install permanent fence along streams to exclude livestock from access reducing sediment, organic material and chemicals from entering streams
Nutrient Management- incentive to encourage the adoption of new management technology for applying manure and fertilizer- per soil test, $20/ac with a max of 150 ac/yr.
Pest Management- incentive for proper application of pesticides following a management plan, requires rotational grazing of livestock, $10/ac with a max of 166 ac/yr.
All of the SWCD cost share payments will be direct deposited into the landowner's bank account.